Translate

Monday 3 September 2012

Movie Recommendation Of The Week: Star Trek (2009)

With the release of 'Dredd 3D' on Friday I was thinking of recommending the original 1995 film 'Judge Dredd' starring Sylvester Stallone, but then I though to myself, overall that is a pretty awful movie. I mean I like it, I enjoy the action sequences, but it just feels like your typical Stallone movie. So I looked at the man who is the new Dredd, Karl Urban. I looked at Urban's film history and realised that, he has been in some pretty awesome movies. Some examples being 'Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers' and 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King'. But my favourite performance by his was when he played Dr Leonard "Bones" McCoy in J.J. Abrams 'Star Trek'.

'Star Trek' was released in 2009 and was a reboot of the Star Trek franchise. Urban stars alongside Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Eric Bana. The film reinvented the Star Trek world, making it much more appealing to new audiences whom previously were not fans of Star Trek. The also includes a cameo by Leonard Nimoy as Spock. The film is brilliant, it has a compelling story, some amazing space action sequences, some hand to hand combat sequences along with some nice little references to the original series and films. McCoy was originally played by DeForest Kelley and his incarnation is fairly iconic within the Star Trek universe. Urban's incarnation of the character may not get a lot of screen time compared to other members of the cast, but he clearly defines himself as his own character, he has some of the perks that come with the character, but he also makes McCoy his own. I can't wait until next year for the sequel, because the first one was so good and the cast was flawless.

Even if you aren't a fan of the franchise, I would highly recommend giving this film a try, it would a lot of people over to science fiction back in 2009. Even if you just like a good action flick, then this film is the one for you. I'm giving 'Star Trek' a 9.5/10. It was missing something, something tiny, I'm not even sure what it is. It is nearly the perfect movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment