Translate

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Movie Recommendation Of The Week: Titanic (1997)

Is there any point in me apologising for this post being late or do you all just expect it these days? Well I'm sorry, I am however getting back on track, so here's my Movie Recommendation Of The Week that should have been posted yesterday (10/09/12): 'Titanic'. The reason why I have picked this week for this weeks recommendation is because this is the week that 'Titanic' comes out on blu ray.

Titanic (1997)
Titanic is one of those movies that everyone has to see at least once in their lifetime. There are many that think it is the greatest movie ever made, and many that don't think it's all that good, and plenty people in between. 'Titanic' is a 1997 American epic romantic disaster film directed, written, co-produced, and co-edited by James Cameron. It is a fictionalized account of the sinking of the RMS Titanic, and stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet as members of different social classes who fall in love aboard the ship during its ill-fated maiden voyage.

It is a visual masterpiece, especially for the time. The first time you see it you get immersed in the story that centers around the two main characters. We know what is going to happen, we all know what happens to the RMS Titanic, so as you begin to get attached to these characters, you feel for them, as you know what their fate is. I'd safely say that the special effects in this film hold up pretty well today. At the time it was the most expensive film ever made, with a budget of $200 million. The acting is good (for most of the movie), the effects are great, the story is timeless, James Cameron really did a fantastic job with this film.

I think the only problems with this film, are that once you've seen it the first time, every other time you see it you just want it to hurry up and get to when the ship sinks. I saw it in 3D at the cinema this year and trust me when I say that this is a long movie. Especially when you know everything that is about to happen. 'Titanic' is a timeless classic, there's no doubt about that, I do have problems with this time but they are mostly related to how long it is. Overall it is a fine piece of work and like I said at the beginning of this post, you have to see this film at least once in your lifetime. 'Titanic' gets a 9/10 for me.


1 comment: