Translate

Sunday 4 March 2012

Review of The Vow

Now I've never really been a fan of this kind of movie, but occasionally you have to be kind and see something that your girlfriend wants to see. The fact that it's based on a true story, straight away makes it one of those films with depth and is more engaging to the audience.
I quite like Rachel Mcadams, ever since I saw her in Mean Girls, and although I am not a fan of Channing Tatum, I did enjoy The Eagle, so on that basis, you'd imagine it would turn out to be a decent movie. I'll put it simply, the story is solid for the most of it, the acting is moderate with a few exceptionally outstanding bits (mostly by Mcadams) but overall it turns out to be a fairly average outcome. This is because there are some parts of the story that just drag and the ending annoyed me. Although it doesn't follow the usual structure of a love movie, whilst the film builds up to an emotional ending, you don't get the satisfaction of that because it ends so suddenly! It ends before the story is over! That is a result of how the story played out in real life, so it is good that it stayed true to the story's origins, I can probably assume that the movie doe exaggerate many aspects of it. I'm sure many will like the ending, it's very give or take, like with The Grey, you either liked the ending or hated it.
Overall I enjoyed The Vow, a lot more than I expected, but I most definitely seen better, and I wouldn't have shed a tear over not seeing it in theaters. It is a good piece of film work and a good choice for a couple to go on see (I would highly recommend not seeing this by yourself if you are a man, you will not look good), but it is also the kind of film that can be enjoyed just as much being watched on DVD at home. 6/10, maybe a 5.5/10, I can't decide.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment