Translate

Thursday 24 May 2012

Review of TELL (Short Film)

'TELL' is a 2012 short- horror/drama film by Ryan Connolly. This is the first short movie I've reviewed on this blog and I was really impressed by the quality of it, so I will probably be doing more in the future. I have been a fan of Ryan Connolly for many months now, he is the creator and host of the podcasts FilmRiot and FilmState, on FilmRiot he basically goes through everything you need to make a great movie, and this was the first serious piece of work from him that I've watched. I'd heard great things about it so I went into it with a positive mind.

Connolly wrote, directed, shot and edited the film and I have to say he has done an amazing job with it! The acting is good, the lighting, script, story, music and effects were all really good. The pacing is kept at a slow steady pace and that coincides with the music really well to create a very tense atmosphere. I wasn't expecting it to be as creepy/scary as it was, I think it gave me more shivers than most mainstream horrors, because it's not just jump/shock scares, the way the scene has been set out, and how it looks on screen, just looks, creepy. The only thing that I think let it down was near the end with the policewoman, I don't know whether it was bad acting on that actresses' behalf, or if it's just the slightly cliche scene that we've all seen a million times before, but it just didn't work for me.

All in all it is a really good piece of film work, it's gritty, and it's good filming down to the bone. I'd definitely recommend giving it a watch. I've posted the link below.

http://doyoufeelguilty.com/

I'm going to give 'TELL' an 8/10. Good job Mr Connolly!

No comments:

Post a Comment