Translate

Sunday 19 August 2012

Weekly Blu Ray Review: Batman Forever

Hello everyone and welcome to this weeks Weekly Blu Ray review (starting 13/08/12), it appears I lied to you all last weel. I told you that I would definitely be reviewing 'Batman Forever' and 'Batman & Robin'. Well as it turns out I couldn't bring myself to watch the appalling 'Batman & Robin', I didn't want to spend my Sunday watching that rubbish. I'll get round to it eventually, but two trips to the cinema this week means that I've only had time to watch one blu ray.

Batman Forever (1995)
I think this film gets a rough time, it seems to get put together with 'Batman & Robin', which is unfair because 'Batman Forever' isn't a bad film at all. Yeah its a lot lighter than Tim Burton's Batman films, but it is still a good time, with two very likeable villains. The blu ray is surprisingly good too. The whole film is very bright, lots of neon lights and stuff, so it is the perfect opportunity for some good visuals, and it doesn't fail to deliver. It looks great, and it sounds alright. The main problem I'm having with the sound on these Batman blu rays are that things like speech sound like they're from a DVD, then the music is really high quality, but it is stupidly louder than anything else. I mean I know the music is normally louder, but this is noticeably louder than usual. The special features are just as extensive as ever, it has a TV special about the making and casting of the film which is interesting, it also continues 'The Shadows of the Bat' documentary which as anyone you who follows my blog regularly know that I have been signing its praises for weeks now. It repeated a few things from the TV special, but you can tell that a lot of it is new material because Joel Schumacher and the cast all look much older than they did in the film. It even looks into how Bob Kane was inspired by Leonardo DaVinci's designs for a flying machine, he based Batman cape on the design of the wings. DaVinci basically provided Bob Kane with the inspiration for Batman! Then it has other little extras like commentaries, music videos, redesigning Gotham, a bit on the good guys and bad guys in the film. Also some deleted scenes, which make it look like they took out the darker parts of the film to make it more light hearted. To be honest, they should have kept some of them in because explain a different side to Bruce dealing with his guilt over his parents murder. And more. So it is definitely worth taking a look at. I am going to give 'Batman Forever' an 8.5/10.

That's all for this week, I've just been told that I am a pussy for not watching 'Batman & Robin;, so I will be watching it tomorrow, I will force myself. Apparently the special features are funny so that's a plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment