Translate

Sunday 26 August 2012

Weekly Blu Ray Review: Batman & Robin

I finally got round to it, this week (commencing 20/8/12) I forced myself to watch the final film in the Batman Anthology blu ray collection, 'Batman & Robin'.Also I know I told you all that I would also be reviewing the blu ray copy of 'Starship Troopers: Invasion', but with me doing The great North Bike Ride today, I just haven't had time to watch the special features yet.

Batman & Robin (1997)
Surely by now you all know how I feel about this movie, so it pains me to say that the blu ray copy isn't that bad. This will just be a quite review by the way, since a lot of the special features are the same as what there was with the other Batman films in the anthology collection. The picture quality is the film is quite good. It seems to look better during smaller scenes, like the ones where the main characters are conversing, whereas the larger scaled scenes don't really look that special. At least there aren't any badly grated scenes. The sound quality is the same as it has been with the other three Batman movies, it seems to switch from quite quiet during the talking scenes, to really loud with the score blasting. They never worked out a good medium when it came to sound. The special features again are the best part, especially the 'Shadows Of The Bat'. This is the final part of a documentary which has carried across all four films in the boxset, and I think it is really interesting. This one is particularly good because everyone involved basically apologises for how bad the movie was (I'm being serious, Schumacher even apologises for the Bat-Nipples!). Along with that we have commentaries, a TV special on the making of the movie, little pieces on the making of the sets, the costumes ect. We are also given one deleted scene, which is nothing special, doesn't really give us anything new to think about, the usual piece on the heroes and villains in the film and finishing off with the galleries. So you get a lot for your money.

Overall I'd say it's an alright blu ray, not the best picture and sound quality wise, but special features where the director and cast apologise for for an awful film, definitely worth the money. I am going to give 'Batman & Robin' on blu ray a 7/10.

I'd highly recommend getting the Batman Anthology boxset if you can, I have it on DVD, I've borrowed my friends blu ray boxset because I think it was HMV exclusive and was only limited edition. I can't find it anywhere else, but I think you'll get similar, if not the same, special features with the DVD boxset.

That's it for this week, these posts seem to be getting smaller and smaller. Next week I promise that I will be reviewing 'Starship Troopers: Invasion'. Hopefully 'Pulp Fiction' will arrive. Which I can wait to watch and review because apparently the blu ray of it is really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment