Translate

Monday 18 June 2012

Movie Recommendation Of The Week: 30 Days of Night (2007)

I have been thinking about new ways to expand my content on the blog, my friends recommended that I review TV shows, but that would take a lot of dedication (keeping up to date week in week out) which I just don't have the time to do. After the success of my weekly blu ray review that I have been doing for three weeks now, I have decided a weekly film recommendation would be the best course of action. I will state the film, why I have chosen it for that particular week, and why it is such a good film. To start it all off, for the week starting the 18th June 2012 I have selected '30 Days of Night'.

30 Days of Night (2007)
With the release of 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' coming to cinemas this week, it got me thinking about the last good vampire movie to come out. Sadly it appears that we haven't had a really good vampire flick in five years!

'30 Days of Night' is a 2007 American horror film based on the graphic novel of the same name. The film is directed by David Slade and stars Josh Hartnett, Melissa George and Danny Huston. The story focusses on an Alasken town that is attacked by vampires as it enters into a thirty-day polar night. It is the perfect vampire movie! A small town surrounded by miles of baron snow filled wasteland with no sun light for thirty days, it's a vampires paradise!

What is really good about this film, is that it is brutal, we see blood, and lots of it. Unlike current vampire films, which have taken upon a more comical (and romantic) view of the vampire, '30 Days of Night' presents us with a vicious killing machine. What we see in this movie is very much what people refer to as the modern vampire, well, they did before American teen vampire shows became so popular among teenage girls. My only real complaints about this film is that it is slow in parts, I know a lot of people don't like this film, and critics gave it a hard time but the film has a huge fan base, because it was such a good adaptation of the graphic novel.

So to conclude, the film has a great concept for the story to revolve round, a decent cast and acting, a good score and all the blood and violence we will ever need. '30 Days of Night' is a solid 8/10. I'd highly recommend giving it a watch.

The big question is, will 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' be the next big step in the recovery of the vampire in films reputation? We will find out this week. I've read the book, so I have high hopes; which reminds me, I should probably get round to reading the '30 Days of Night' graphic novel at some point.

I hope you like this new idea for the blog, let me know what you think, and if you like it, look forward to my next installment on the 26th June.

No comments:

Post a Comment