Translate

Sunday 17 June 2012

Weekly Blu Ray Review: Chronicle and Machine Gun Preacher

My Weekly Blu Ray Review starting from the 10/6/12. Finally 'Chronicle' arrived! Yes my viewers, it has arrived, and it was watched straight away. So let us take a look at what I've indulged in this week It has been a quiet week).

Chronicle (2012) Extended Edition
So happy that it finally arrived! I really enjoyed this film when I saw it at the beginning of the year. As for blu ray quality I'll say this, it's not bad, the looks of the film vary depending on what cameras are being used for that particular scene, so it's difficult to see very or not something is slightly blurry from poor conversion, or from poor picture quality of the camera in question. So I'm going to assume that the quality is up to scratch. The version I got was the extended edition, it had some pretty good new footage in there that fills in a few some gaps in the story, so I wasn't expected much extra in the special features. There extras were nearly none existent, we are given one deleted scene (which they might as well have put into the film), some screen test scenes (which are rubbish) and some of the flying scenes before post-production (which is a pointless thing because there's no commentary to explain what they did). The blu ray does give you the option to watch either the theatrical release or the extended edition, which I quite like because I like to compare, see if I missed any new footage, and also a standard definition digital copy. All in all it's a good blu ray but I am disappointed with the special features, it's the first found-footage movie that they actually put a lot of money into and I was looking forward to seeing how they made it. If I was basing this purely on picture and sound quality I'd probably give it an 8.5/10, but as a product as a whole, I have to give 'Chronicle' a 6.5/10.

Machine Gun Preacher (2012)
Gerard Butler at his best, this movie is great. It's full of action and emotion and what makes it even better is that it is based on a true story, which always makes everything we are watching that little bit more real.It looks and sounds really good, there are a few moments where I think that it could have been done better, a few blurry bits here and there, but apart from that it is a pretty good buy. The special features are nothing special, they don't even show what they are on the back of case and do you know why not? Because there are no special features! Nothing at all apart from an option for subtitles for the hard of hearing. It is ridiculous! Whenever something based on a trues story they have the perfect opportunity, they could have interviews, documentaries on the events and how the films made, and in the credits for this film they show real footage of the guy involved, so the source material is there, it's just that they were too lazy to take advantage of it. It is such a missed opportunity and a shame because they film looks good, I haven't checked out the DVD yet to see if that has any special features but I can't imagine that it does. So overall, due to the extreme lack of special features, I am going to have to give 'Machine Gun Preacher' a 5/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment