Translate

Sunday 3 June 2012

Review of the original 'District 9' (Short Film)


'District 9' is a 2006 short film by Neill Blomkamp, which the movie 'District 9' was based off. Blomkamp was originally set to produce the Halo movie, which is now on hold indefinitely. 

The film is set out like a documentary, very much like how part of the feature film is done, and you can clearly see the elements that were used in the feature film. I really like this short film, the effects aren't the best (the aliens looks awful, their equipment looks worse) but it's a very original concept, and I like the way it is set out like a documentary to give it that sense of realism. I also like how they show peoples reactions to the aliens arriving, I think it is quite an accurate interpretation of how some countries may react. The score is also really good, just like in the feature film. My only real complaints like I've already mentioned, is the effects, short films never have a huge budget, so it's forgivable. It successfully tells the story in just under six minutes, which the feature film spread out to at least twenty minutes and was the basis for the rest of their story.


The link for this short film is below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlgtbEdqVsk

I'm going to give the original 'District 9' an 8/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment