Translate

Sunday 1 July 2012

Weekly Blu Ray Review: An American Werewolf In London, Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3 and Predators

My weekly blu ray review starting from 25/6/12. I managed to get a few more watched this week. I've been preparing for 'The Amazing Spider-Man' on Tuesday. I also tried to introduce my girlfriend to another classic film from the 80s, sadly she didn't like it.

An American Werewolf In London (1981) Steel book
A classic! This film has the greatest werewolf transformation scene ever made! Even with today's technology no one has ever managed to beat it. The blu ray does this film justice, it looks quite good, sadly the scenes where they're on the moors don't look particularly good, some look quite fuzzy. As usual bad effects look worse, bad costumes in this case, but it's an old film, apart from those few scenes everything looks and sounds good, it even comes with a decent amount of special features. A must have for any collection. 7/10.

Batman Begins (2005)
It's the perfect blu ray, looks and sounds great, no faults with the picture at all, it looks better than 'The Dark Knight' does. Its gotten me all excited again for 'The Dark Knight Rises'. I love the special features with this blu ray, especially the documentaries on the making of the suit, creating Gotham and the transaction from comics to movie (including which comic were the inspiration for the story). A 10/10, another must have!

Spider-Man 2 (2004)
I had exactly the same problem I had with 'Spider-Man' with this one, it looks and sounds really good, I'm going to say that the picture quality is perfect, but again it has no special features! The only thing that is making me give this one a higher score than the first movie is the fact that it also comes with 'Spider-Man 2.1' as well (which doesn't show much extra footage, but there's one really funny scene). So again, a wasted opportunity,because I would have really enjoyed seeing how they did Doc Ock and his mechanical arms. I'm going to be generous and give 'Spider-Man 2' a 7/10.

Spider-Man 3 (2007)
This may be the worse 'Spider-Man' film so far, but it is still enjoyable (at least up until the conclusion of the film) and it is the only one in the collection that actually comes with special features (granted they are the same as what's on the DVD, but still). It comes with documentaries on how they did the effects for The Sandman and Venom, redesigning the suit and the Goblin. I would have like  bit more, but it's nice to finally see some special features. On top of that it looks and sounds really good, a solid 8/10.

Predators (2010)
This ones the winner this week, with the perfect picture and sound quality and a good amount of special features (including redesigning the Predators, the new world and story, a look into each character, a short animated prequel on some of the main characters and more!) this has got to be one of my best purchases yet! Plus now that I have this I now have all of the 'Predator' films, all of the 'Alien' films and all of the 'Alien Vs. Predator' films. The collection is complete! 'Predators gets a 10/10 from me.

That's all for this week, it must be the first week where we have two 10/10 scores. So far for next week I have 'The Thing' (2011) and 'The Thing' (1982), so look forward to that if you're a horror fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment