Translate

Monday 30 July 2012

Weekly Blu Ray Review: I,Robot, Batman: Gotham Knight and Hellboy

This week has actually been a pretty good week (starting 23/7/12) for me watching blu rays, every one I've watched has been very high quality. Granted one of the films wasn't very good (cough Gotham Knight cough), but at least it looked good.

I,Robot (2004)
Possibly my favourite Will Smith film. Its god a good story, great acted and a Will Smith swearing and shooting robots, awesome right? The picture quality is consistant throughout, the sound is brilliant (especially during the car chase scene) and it come with a good amount of special features. This includes commentary from directer Alex Proyas, and annotated guide, production diaries and film introduction by the directer, featurettes on the CGI and design and visual effects, stunts and robotics. Also "How To" segments from Production House WETA Digital, extended and deleted scenes including two alternate endings (I won't spoil) and five easter eggs (and more). So it is definitely worth buying, I only aid £5 for it, its a straight up 10/10 for blu ray quality and its a good film.

Batman: Gotham Knight (2008)
I reviewed this film earlier in the week, it isn't great, not my best purchase, but as for blu ray quality it is one of the best. The picture is sharp and is pretty much consistant throughout, although it does drop a bit in parts. The sound is decent enough, not brilliant, but the best part of it is the special effects, we have a documentary on Bob Kane the creator of Batman, a featurrete exploring Batman and the evil denizens of Gotham City, commentary by some senior people at DC, an exclusive sneak peak at DC Universe's Wonder Woman and here's the best bit...four bonus episodes from the award winning 1992 'Batman: The Animated Series'! Granted these were probably taken out of the series for a reason, but after watching them i can conclude that the first one 'Legends of the Dark Knight' isn't that good, 'Heart of Ice' (the introduction to Mr. Freeze) is alright and the final two 'I Am The Night' and 'Over The Edge' are brilliant. 'Batman: Gotham Knight' is probably worth getting just for the special features. I am going to give it a 9/10 for blu ray quality.

Hellboy (2004)
I really like this film, even though loads of people didn't. To be honest this film is like' Raiders of the Lost Ark' compared to the sequel 'Hellboy II: The Golden Army', which was absolutely awful. The picture and sound is top notch and the special features are very extensive. It comes with deleted scenes with optional commentary, directer's commentary and a documentary on the making of the film. I know that doesn't look like a lot, but the documentary on the making of the film (called 'Hellboy: The Seeds Of Creation') is one of the most in depth looks at a film I've ever watched. It goes into the creation of the comic, the transaction from comic to film, the casting, the prosthetics, the special effects, the filming and much much more. It also takes us through the different stages of filming, from beginning, middle to end. It is really really interesting. I am going to give 'Hellboy' a 10/10. Definitely worth the £8 I paid for it. There is a special steelbook edition coming out in October, I'm not aure whether or not I'll be getting that, it all depends what else it comes with, because I doubt it'll come with much more that the current blu ray has.

That's it for this week. I would give you all a heads up on what I'm reviewing next week but at this moment I have no idea. I'll probably buy something new over the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment